In April 2009, Nagaenthran K.Dharmalingam, then 21, was detained for attempting to smuggle into Singapore nearly 43 grams (1.5 ounces) of heroin found strapped to his left thigh. Disabled man of Indian descent sentenced to death by hanging in November 2010 under Singapore’s strict drug laws.
On Nov. 10, Nagaenthran, 33, who has a low IQ of 69, is scheduled to be executed in Changi Prison. Nagaenthran K Dharmalingam, is on death row at Singapore’s Changi Prison, since his conviction in 2010 for drug trafficking.
Sarmila Dharmalingam, his older sister, said the family wailed and wept as they learned of the execution on Oct. 26. At first, she kept it a secret from her mother, who is 59 years old and works as a cleaner. Ten family members surrounded her on Tuesday, two days before the Hindu festival of Diwali, to explain about her son’s imminent execution. On Friday, she traveled to Singapore to meet her son for the first time in nearly three years.
Important Facts about case
- Dharmalingam was 21 when caught most likely did it for money acting as a drug mule. At the time he had explained to Central Narcotics Bureau officers that he knew the bundle contained heroin and that a friend had strapped it to his thigh so that no one would find it.
- Nagaenthran’s IQ was disclosed during the trial as 69, a level internationally recognized as intellectual disability. A psychologist also found that he had obsessive-compulsive disorder and drinking disorder, all of which affect his judgment, decision making, and impulse control.
- The lawyer for Nagaenthran, Mr.Ravi, said Nagaenthran, now 33, “could possibly have a mental age below 18” and that the disability doesn’t allow him to understand or appreciate deterrence.
- Both Singapore’s High Court and the Court of Appeal have held the man’s Nagaenthran death sentence verdict with regard to his offence.
- Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, and the Anti-Death Penalty Asia Network all called for Nagaenthran to be spared from death, saying the execution of a disabled person would not deter crime.
- #SaveNagaenthran – Petition for President Halimah Yacob to pardon an intellectually disabled man, who has been sentenced to death for a non-violent crime. 36,553 new signatures were added to this petition thanks to the people who shared it. Join them and help this petition grow!
Pardon the death sentence of an intellectually disabled man. sign the petition