As you all know the Maharashtra government has imposed a night curfew from 22nd December till 5th Jan. This move clearly implies that Christmas and 31st celebrations are not going to be the same. The curfew will remain in place from 11 pm to 6 am.
After the night curfew announcement on Monday, Mumbai Police conducted a raid on Tuesday at a night club. The police said that the party was stopped for flouting Covid-19 norms and 34 people have been booked. The raid was conducted at 3 am.
“Party (Nahin) Chalegi Till Six In The Morning (the party won’t go on till 6 am)! A raid was conducted at a nightclub in Andheri at around 3 am, for flouting COVID prevention norms. Action has been initiated against 34 people, out of which 19 were from Delhi & Punjab, including some celebrities,” the Mumbai Police said on Twitter.
Party (Nahin) Chalegi Till Six In The Morning!
A raid was conducted at a nightclub in Andheri at around 3 am, for flouting COVID prevention norms
Action has been initiated against 34 people, out of which 19 were from Delhi & Punjab, including some celebrities #NewNormal
— Mumbai Police (@MumbaiPolice) December 22, 2020
Cricketer Suresh Raina and singer Guru Randhawa are among those booked. All the 34 people have been booked under relevant Indian Penal Code (IPC) sections, including 188 (disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant).
The decision of imposing a night curfew in Maharashtra was made to ensure that people strictly follow the Covid-19 norms and do not violate them under any circumstances.
“This is not a normal new year which is why we cannot have normal celebrations. The curfew is being imposed to ensure that such violations are not repeated,” BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) commissioner Iqbal Singh Chahal said.
Iqbal Singh Chahal also explained the difference between a total lockdown and a night curfew as
“ While in a lockdown, individuals cannot step out of their homes. In a curfew, more than 5 people cannot assemble outside during the specified hours. So, offices that function overnight or something like dairy transportation can still operate. Taxis, cars and auto-rickshaws will also run just like before.”
Here is the List of New Changes due to the Night Curfew in Maharashtra:
- From December 22, 2020, until January 5th, 2021, all the cities and municipal corporation areas will be under night curfew for 7 hours from 11pm to 6am.
- A maximum of five people can assemble outside during the curfew. Offices, taxis, car, and auto-rickshaws are allowed to operate in the night following the existing norms.
- All travelers arriving at Mumbai from European countries and the Middle East would be placed under institutional quarantine.
- The travelers are only allowed to leave for their homes upon completion of the quarantine period. Also, the RT-PCR Covid-19 test for these travelers would be done on the fifth or the seventh day.
- People from other countries apart from Europe and the Middle East would be recommended a home quarantine.
- Municipal Commissioners would arrange all the temporary institutional quarantine facilities near airports and hotels.